1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
8 oz mushrooms, cleaned with dry towel and chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili flake
1 15 oz can of white beans, drained and rinsed
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/4 cups bread crumbs, split into 1 cup and 1/4 cup
5 stalks chard, removed from ribs and chopped
1 clove garlic, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1 25 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
parsley and chili flake for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pot oven medium heat. Once hot, add onion and cook until translucent (about five minutes).
- Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft (about two minutes).
- Stir in oregano, salt, pepper, and chili flake.
- Add white beans and lemon juice and stir, let the mixture cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the white bean mushroom mixture to the food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- Add parsley and 1 cup of bread crumbs and pulse until the mixture is well combined.
- Let the mixture sit for five minutes (bread crumbs need to absorb some of the white bean mushroom mixture).
- While it is setting, add remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper, chili flakes, and parsley to a bowl.
- Take a 1 tbsp scoops of the ‘meatball’ mixture and roll it into a ball in your hands. Roll it around in the bowl of seasoned bread crumbs and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until there is no ‘meatball’ mixture remaining.
- Bake the ‘meatballs’ for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes flip them for even browning and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- While the ‘meatballs’ are baking, prepare the chard.
- Place marinara sauce in pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and salt and cook for 1 minute
- Add chard and cook until softened (about 1 to 2 minutes)
- Place chard in toasted buns and top with meatballs, parsley, and chili flake. Enjoy!